Have you ever wanted to be a real life Pokémon Trainer? Travel the world with your favorite Pokémon and challenge trainers and Gym Leaders? Well, LVL UP EXPO has made your dreams come true with this year’s Gym Leader Challenge!
What’s the Hype?
Get your very own Trainer Card and use it to challenge Gym Leaders for badges and prove that you’re the best Trainer around! Beat Gym Leaders and topple other Trainers to gain enough XP to have Nurse Joy enter your Trainer Card into Sunday’s League Champion Tournament. You could not only win prizes and money, but the ability to call yourself the LVL UP EXPO League Champion! Normally we invite Gym Leaders from regions all around the Pokémon world, but you trainers have proven to be SO STRONG that none of them were brave enough to show up this year! So, for the second year in a row, LVL UP EXPO will have it’s very own Gym Leaders ready to take your challenge. Be prepared to fight against all Pokémon types -our Gym Leaders will be dressed as their favorites! The rules are simple and this tournament is fun and free… so pay attention:
Here’s What You Could Win!
$500 Prize Split
1st Place: $300 + Trophy
2nd Place: $150 + Trophy
3rd Place: $50 + Trophy
4th, 5th, and 6th: (Shh..It’s a surprise)
What You Need to Know
- This tournament is FREE TO ENTER! But you must purchase a convention badge here to enter the premises and participate.
- This tournament is for the 3DS/2DS platform.
- You must have the Sun and Moon or Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon game carts to play.
- It is BYOC– Bring your own charger! We will have a limited amount of chargers for trainers to borrow and outlets to use.
- Lastly no RSVP is required, trainers can register at the Pokemon Center days of our event.
Friday and Saturday Tournament Rules
The Pokemon Gym Leader Challenge will consist of 6v6 battles against other trainers and the conventions Gym Leaders.
No Pokemon are banned for these battles.
Step 1: Visit the Pokemon Center on Friday or Saturday to obtain your very own trainer card. You’ll be using this to track the other trainers and Gym Leaders you defeat. (Remember that if you show up Friday, you’ll have an extra day to complete your trainer card.)
Step 2: Journey around the convention center battling fellow trainers. After the battle is done, report to the Pokemon Center and the Professors will initial the winner’s trainer card or you can report to any Gym Leader to have your win confirmed as well.
Step 3: Gym Leaders can at the Pokemon Center or hanging out around the Exhibit Hall. There is a total of 8 Gym Leaders to battle and defeat. Gym Leaders will be in full cosplay and stamp your trainer card upon defeat.
Step 4: Once you have defeated enough trainers and the Gym Leaders to complete your trainer card, visit the Pokemon Center! Be one of the first 32 individuals to defeat the required number of trainers and all of the Gym Leaders, and you’ll be entered into the Sunday Tournament to become this year’s League Champion.
Sunday Tournament Rules
The Free-For-All Tournament will follow a more traditional and structured set of competitive rules. If you have competed in a Pokemon tournament before, you may be familiar with it! If you are skilled enough to be one of the first 32 people to complete your trainer card on Friday and/or Saturday, you will be entered into this tournament to compete with other trainers and see who will become the LVL UP EXPO League Champion!
Finals Rules & Regulations
For finals, we use the same rules as the official Play! Pokemon competitions. If you aren’t familiar, Here’s a brief summary of the regulations:
- All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Sun/Ultra Sun and Pokémon Moon/Ultra Moon
- All Pokémon in the National Pokédex are allowed, with the following restrictions:
- Pokémon must have the Alola symbol showing they were caught in the Alola region
- Mythical Pokémon, some Legendary Pokémon, and Ash-Greninja are not allowed
- Duplicate Pokémon are not allowed
- All items are allowed, but duplicate items are not allowed
- All Pokémon are set to Lv. 50, including Pokémon below Lv. 50
A more thorough version of the rules can be found here.
Players are expected to understand the rules when participating in a competition, so take a look at them before your next event!